If you’re looking for a quick, delicious, and healthy meal then look no further. This is one of our favorite go-to meals and it’s perfect for cool fall nights and cold winter days. And since it’s a slow cooker meal, it’s also excellent when you really don’t want to bother with dinner—which, as a parent is basically everyday. Not to mention, it’s extremely flavorful and filling. Its consistency is more like a chili, but for the sake of a cooler name, we call it Taco Soup.
Think of this recipe as just a starting point. I’ve interchanged the ingredients with whatever I have on hand: black beans, pinto beans, ground turkey, etc. It also freezes really, really well, and it’s something great to take to parents with new babies, or anyone who needs a nice, home cooked meal.
When you make this, even if it’s a freezer meal, make sure you have the necessary toppings on hand when you’re ready to eat: tortilla chips that you can crush up or homemade tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and extra jalapenos if you so desire.
- 1 pound ground beef (we use extra lean beef)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water (I fill up the empty cans of beans with water to get anything left in there)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes (if you like things spicy, get tomatoes labeled "zesty," "chili," or with jalapenos mixed in)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup nacho jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (we use the "hot" variety) OR make your own!
- Shredded cheese
- Green onion
- Tortillas or tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Cook onions, ground beef, and taco seasoning until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
- Place ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, and jalapenos in a slow cooker. Mix to blend; cook on low for 8 hours.
- Top individual servings with cheese, green onions and/or sour cream; serve with tortilla or bread. Enjoy.
- Notes: make your own homemade taco seasoning here http://jessicalynnwrites.com/2013/03/taco-seasoning-recipe-and-other-spices/
If you’re looking for an awesome slow cooker that can do all the things, this is the one I recommend. You can start your meal on the stove top (like this recipe), to brown meat, and then you can move it to the slow cooker stand and finish cooking your meal for however long you need it to cook. Then, say you want to broil something on top, you can stick the Rockcrok under the broil setting. It’s a literal one-pot slow cooker meal, and it rocks my socks off.
I can’t wait to share more of our favorite fix it and forget it meals, because anything that requires less work is my favorite kind of dinner!