This calabacitas recipe is a veggie-packed side dish with squash, corn, onions, and green chile, and you can make it all year round.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped into quarters
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can of corn drained
- green chile about 4 ounces diced, pealed, drained
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese cheddar, Colby/Jack, Swiss, etc.
Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium heat.
Add onions; saute until fragrant.
Add zucchini; mix with onions.
When zucchini starts to get soft, add salt, pepper, garlic powder. Cook until veggies are caramelized (about 3-5 minutes).
Stir in green chile; once chile is heated through, mix in corn.
Cook, stirring occasionally; sprinkle cheese over veggies; stir to combine.
Turn off heat; move to serving dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Serve and enjoy!