I’ve only been a military spouse for two months and already we’re going through a deployment, saying bye to close friends as they move to a base across the country, and now we’re contemplating a move for ourselves. Welcome to the military.
There’s an opportunity to possibly (because nothing is official until we have the orders in our hands) PCS to Germany in January. If you’re our friends or family reading about this here before hearing it here for the first time, we literally just found out and haven’t even decided what we want to do yet. As you can imagine, trying to make a big life decision when you can’t talk to your husband about it face-to-face, is kind of daunting, which is why I’m here…
rambling confused blogging at 11 o’clock at night.
We’re lucky enough that right now we can either pick or pass on this opportunity. If we pass we can always try to get it again in a few months, but there’s no guarantee it’ll be available. We always said we would to live overseas for our next station and wait on starting a family till we come back to America, but now that the reality and option is here…we don’t know what to do.
Here’s a quick pro/con list we came up with:
- Travel is at our fingertips
- New culture
- Great festivals and beer (courtesy especially from Kenny)
- Opportunity of a lifetime
- Spend more time with each other since we’d be waiting to have kids
- It’s gorgeous there
- Only go home a couple—if that—times a year.
- Smaller home than in America
- Would have to leave a lot of our “stuff” here
- No closets (seriously, what?!)
- Put the baby fever on hold for a few years (yes, we can have a child in Europe, but we would rather wait and be closer to family)
- Far from family and friends
- We really love our home here and thought we would enjoy it for a little longer together.
If you’re keeping track, that’s six Pros and seven Cons, which isn’t exactly an answer. I have no idea how we’re going to even get an answer.
Thanks for letting me ramble…
I’ll let you know what we decide, and then I’ll let you know what the Air Force decides for us.