This past friday I went to my (Air Force) base’s Heart Link session and really enjoyed it. Basically, it’s like an orientation to the Air Force and your new base. This particular session had a tour of the area and base after the introduction portion, but I don’t think all Heart Link sessions have tours of the surrounding area (I could be wrong). It was also a great place to network and meet new people!
Along with all the stuff they gave you—seriously, go for the free swag if nothing else!—they handed out a piece of paper I wanted to share with you. I’m sure several of you may have seen this before, but it was my first time reading it and several of them made me laugh, so I figured there are others out there who may enjoy it.
Ten Commandments for Military Spouses
1. Thou shalt not write in ink in they address book.
2. Thou shalt not covet choice assignments of other uniformed branches of servic.
3. Love thy neighbor (’tis easier if thou buyest a house on a corner).
4. Honor thy commissary and exchange for as long as they both shall live.
5. Thou shalt not ridicule a local politician, for mighty senators from local politicians grow.
6. Thou shalt look for the best in every assignment, even though the best may be “World’s Biggest Cockroaches” or “Record Snow in One month’s time” or “Most Childhod Diseases Experienced in One Year’s Time.”
7. Thou shalt remember all thy friends from all thy assignments with greetings at Christmas, for thou never knowest when thou might like to spend the night with them whil en-route to a new base.
8. Be kind and gentle to retired, white haired exchange and commissary customers, because thou, too, will be a retiree some day.
9. Thou shalt not curse thy spouse when he/she is TDY on moving day.
10. Thou must never arrive at a new base and constantly brag about how everything was much better at thy last base.
That is seriously funny!!!! Loved all of them!!!! Especially #8…that one had my LOLing…and #10!
I think #6 is the most important one! You can sit in your room and be Captain PoutyPants because you don't think you like the new place…or you can get out, do things, and meet fabulous people!!
**Who knew I could fall in love with so many things in upstate New York!
These are so great! Thanks for sharing! #8 made me laugh… and #6 is SO true. We always get out and explore and make the best of every place we live. (Boooo for cockroaches, though!)
To add to #1: Thou shalt not write in ink on thy calendar.
Ha ha I love it 🙂
I would add:
Thou shalt say "hello" to anyone who looks remotely friendly because life and assignments are too short.
Thou shalt immediate start driving around and getting your bearings lest you become that stranded spouse stuck in your house every day.
These are great!!!
Love it! Especially #8, lol.. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Though shall become friendly with finance and personnel, as they decide your future 😉